This Summarizing lesson plan also includes:
Unlock the secrets of summarizing. Introduce class members to the mnemonic LOCK (lose unimportant details, only use main ideas, complete your story, and keep keywords, like titles, names, and locations) and use this clever interactive program featuring Garfield and his friends.
- Have pairs craft a summary of one chapter of a book the class is currently reading
- Computers and an Internet connection are required for the interactive portion of the lesson
- The mnemonic helps kids remember the steps
- The interactive program gives immediate feedback
- Some class members may find the opening activity stressful; therefore, consider modeling the steps before asking pairs to summarize their partner's story