This Supreme Decision activity & project also includes:
Does a school's rule against band t-shirts violate the First Amendment's right to freedom of speech and expression? To gain a deeper understanding of the First Amendment and of protected and unprotected speech, class members play an interactive game in which they listen to arguments for and against the question and then advise a justice on how to rule on the case.
- Have groups research recent court cases involving schools and freedom of expression
- Players should have a basic understanding of the judicial system
- Third in a series of 13 resources that focus on the United States Constitution
- The game encourages critical thinking by requiring players to listen to and then analyze arguments, take a stand on the question, and advise the deciding justice on how to vote
- Players can submit their responses to the website