This Swimming Pool Math lesson plan also includes:
How does adding a sidewalk impact pool size? Given the size of a swimming pool, class members calculate its area. They then determine a new area if a sidewalk is added to the pool. Scholars continue to change the size of the sidewalk and find the area of both the pool and the sidewalk, and then the sidewalk only. The conclusion of the project has individuals find a way to determine the area for any size of sidewalk.
- Brainstorm methods to keep track of the dimensions to view a pattern
- For more advanced classes, develop a formula learners can use independent of width, length, or size of sidewalk
- Individuals should be comfortable with finding area
- Provides a task that has a range of entry points
- Contains a suggestion on how to accelerate the lesson
- References a table that does not exist