This Teachers' Resource Kit - Taming the Sun activity & project also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
For thousands of years, people have been creating stories to explain their observations of the natural world. Explore this interesting literary form with this series of activities complementing the book Taming the Sun: Four Maori Myths by Gavin Bishop. From creating comic strips and movie posters to writing poetry and newspaper articles, a variety of opportunities are provided to engage children in reading these fun tales. Include this book as part of a mythology unit, using these activities to highlight the similarities and differences in the stories told by cultures around the world.
- Five different activities are provided for each of the four myths included in the book
- Activities allow for cross-curricular connections between language arts, science, and social studies
- Each activity description includes the related academic subject areas and appropriate grade levels
- Requires a copy of the children's book Taming the Sun: Four Maori Myths by Gavin Bishop
- Scaffolding required to support children with research and writing activities