Here is a basic worksheet to accompany your lesson on the United States government's system of checks and balances. Pupils identify which of the three branches of government has the power listed in the first column (i.e. veto bills, ratify treaties, etc.), and then list which of the other branches is being "checked" as a result.
- As an extension, add a fourth column in which pupils must mark what portion of the Constitution states the given federal power
- Support more visual learners by offering an alternative assignment in which students illustrate the checks and balances system, listing all the powers provided in this worksheet
- This worksheet is more of an assessment or homework assignment to be administered after a complete lesson of the checks and balances system
- Can download and edit resource
- Great starter worksheet to edit and adapt