This The Children’s Hour worksheet also includes:
Examine youth and adulthood with Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, "The Children's Hour." Class members read the poem while considering the value of youth. They then respond to four text-based questions and jot down some notes in preparation for a discussion question.
- Split the worksheet up into parts to more fully scaffold the exercise; for example, you could read and mark the poem as a class, split the class off into partners for the text-based questions, assign the longer question for homework, and hold the discussion the next day
- While called a discussion question in the resource, you could certainly use the final question as an essay question as well
- Some learners will need more scaffolding or assistance to fully understand this complex text and successfully answer the text-dependent questions
- The entire poem is provided on the first two pages of the resource
- Learners are required to read closely and use textual evidence in order to respond to the text-based questions and higher-level discussion question