This The Joy Luck Club: Character Development lesson plan also includes:
Pair your readers into mother-daughter pairs with an activity from The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. Each person discusses his or her assigned character's motivations, strengths, weaknesses, and changes. They then examine how the adult daughters from the book find balance between their Chinese heritage and their places in American society. After reading the next two chapters for homework, have your kids come to class with two important turning points from the novel so far.
- Use the lesson in the context of a cultural history theme in your class, or with a personal narrative about learners' cultural backgrounds
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides character insight through role-play and discussion
- Focuses on key conflicts and struggles for specific characters
- Models a strong thesis statement, which kids are prompted to defend with examples from the book