This The Last Roundup video also includes:
The issues raised by the transitioning of Santa Rosa Island from privately owned to a National Park are explored in a short, poignant documentary that weaves together vintage family photos and videos with interviews with a member of the Vail family, the previous owners of the island, and park rangers.
- Provide perspective by beginning the unit with a viewing of the teaser for the series, West of the West, California's Channel Islands
- Pause the 16-minute video frequently to answer questions and clarify understanding
- Have groups investigate the current debate about declassifying certain national parks
- The video launches a series of lessons that explore the history of Santa Rosa Island, part of the Channel island chain located off the coast of southern California
- The video provides multiple perspectives on the value of the preservation attempts
- The video captures multiple perspectives on the the issues involved in the conversion of Santa Rosa from a privately owned island to a National Park