Every person has the chance to be a hero in some way, but those who take the opportunity are truly heroic. Welles Crowther, also known as the man in the red bandanna, lost his life on 9/11 as he saved many more. Middle schoolers discuss how his personal traits connect to those characteristics they associate with heroes, and how their own lives may present opportunities to help others.
- Teach the lesson in September as a class icebreaker and a way to remember September 11
- Use the extension activity as a narrative writing prompt
- Consider condensing the first few steps of the lesson plan for time and relevance
- Connects a real person to the events of 9/11, which may be more general to learners
- Provides all necessary links and auxiliary reading materials
- Instruction steps include a guided discussion