This The New Colossus worksheet also includes:
The Statue of Liberty is one of the United States' most iconic monuments. Learners examine the poem "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus, which is engraved on the Statue of Liberty's pedestal. They then respond to a series of text-based and discussion questions.
- Add this into a unit on immigration to the US or on the identity of the US
- Read and annotate the poem as a class before sending learners off to respond to the questions
- Use the discussion questions as suggested, or transform them into essay questions
- Scroll to the last page to find suggested text pairings for teacher consideration
- The included questions require textual evidence and higher-level thinking
- A copy of the poem is provided