This The Power of Diction lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Can the tone of a written work affect its meaning? High schoolers find out with a reading activity that incorporates three different versions of the same topic. They first read a document that relates factual data regarding a family trip to Costa Rica. Thet then read the same information in a piece where the author conveys a negative tone, and finally, they read one where the author establishes a positive tone. After analyzing the author's use of diction, learners view neutral data regarding a fictional family celebration on the Fourth of July that they can convey in positive or negative ways.
- Encourage learners to describe the events of their days using both positive and negative tones
- Use in a focus on digital citizenship to reinforce the importance of choosing words wisely
- Excellent active practice with diction and connotation
- Emphasizes the importance of word choice when establishing tone