Do all kids in the US have access to a quality education? What barriers do English language learners face? What about kids from tough neighborhoods? What about kids with disabilities, gay kids, pregnant kids? Class members listen to the experiences of five high schoolers and then make recommendations that would assure that all kids have access to a quality education.
- Preview all the materials to determine if they are appropriate for your school and community
- The resource comes with a warning that "some of the lessons contain sensitive language and situations"
- The five monologues are poignant and detail the discrimination these teenagers face
- The role-playing activity enables participants to see the stiuations from mutlitple view points and encourages them to take action
- The focus of the lesson and the activities is to recognize and then be motivated to correct harmful situations; however, some learners may need additional support to move from a negative to a positive mindset