This The Squashed Tomato Challenge activities & project also includes:
Nepalese farmers are faced with long, arduous journeys to sell their crops (including tomatoes) to the local markets at the bottom of the mountains. With this in mind, your young engineers will be challenged to build a model that can transport as many cherry tomatoes as possible, at the same time!
- Dig deeper into the social and economic issues of farming in under-developed countries with research and additional reading materials
- After this assignment is complete, consider offering an inquiry-based project whereby learners identify another major world or environmental issue that will require a creative, technology-based solution
- This is a fantastic idea, but will also likely call for a lengthy and involved project. Be sure to allot enough preparation time to outline a project timeline, collect materials, design rubrics, etc.
- Guidelines provided for equipment and materials, group work, and ground rules
- Includes multiple supplemental materials (i.e. student references, videos, etc.)
- Several cross-curricular extension ideas included