Why Lesson Planet?
Do people readily conform to the social roles they are expected to play? Do these roles shape behavior and attitudes? After reading a brief summary of Philip Zimbardo's simulation that has come to be known as the Stanford Prison Experiment, class members reflect on how roles influence behavior.
- The resource is best suited for high school and college level psychology classes
- Before using this resource, research the experiment online, especially articles critical of the simulation
- The discussion of the experiment requires a safe and respectful classroom environment
- The packet includes both text-based and discussion questions
- The ethics portion of the article is incomplete and underdeveloped
- CommonLit Organization