One of the most famous short stories, Edgar Allan Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart," is the focus of this resource. Learners read the story, respond to several text-based questions, and brainstorm ideas about a question relating to the text as well as some larger ideas surrounding the text.
- Use this in a unit on Edgar Allan Poe, short stories, the horror genre, or the theme of fear in literature
- Assign this as an assessment at the end of a literary analysis unit, especially one that focuses on the short story
- Some pupils may need additional support when responding to the questions, such as sentence frames or starters, partner work, or a text marking exercise
- The questions do require that learners use textual evidence to back up their answers
- A copy of the full story is included
- The discussion question provided is a higher-level question that could be used as an an essay prompt as well