Though September 11 was the most devastating attack on American soil, it was not the first. Middle schoolers discuss the symbolism of the American flag pulled from the debris at the World Trade Center, and how the flag connects to that day, the War of 1812, and other events in American history with a discussion about the lyrics of the National Anthem.
- Connect the lesson between language arts and social studies when focusing on either September 11 or the War of 1812
- Encourage learners to research current issues regarding the American flag and the National Anthem, such as citizens' decisions to abstain from singing the anthem as silent protest
- The lesson requires two or three sessions, but you could adjust the timeline based on your schedule
- Thematically connects different events in United States history
- Encourages learners to analyze song lyrics with poetry analysis skills
- Extension activities bulk up the assessment and enrichment of the assignment
- All auxiliary materials are attached at the end of the packet