This The Weather Channel Virtual Field Trip – Severe Winter Weather lesson plan also includes:
As young meterologists learn about extreme winter weather forecasts, they find themselves taking a journey into the past by interviewing their family members to share their memories of the worse winter storm or winter weather disaster they ever experienced.
- Introduce severe winter weather discussion using the KWL chart and leave posted for all students to view throughout the lesson; although winter storms and ice are regional, task is relevant for all students
- Have student groups look at the safety kit list and think about why each item might be important in an emergency situation
- Flip classroom by assigning the video as homework if time is a constraint
- Video links require a free membership to Discovery Education; viewing time of videos should be considered before implementing the lesson
- This is the second in a series of four weather-related lessons
- Exposes students to the severity of extreme weather changes