This Thin Ice Encompassed by Increasing Fire: Conflict and Struggle for Human Rights in the Middle East lesson plan also includes:
To gain a deeper understanding of the scope of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) groups examine a series of videos, articles, and images, to identify the human right's represented. They then research that right in the context of the struggles in the Middle East. A very powerful, thought-provoking instructional activity.
- Include a reading of Robert Frost's poem "Fire and Ice"
- To expand the focus beyond human rights violations in the Middle East, have one or more groups investigate violations in their own country and in other parts of the world
- The exercise could be included in a study of the ongoing struggles in the Middle East or as a part of a global examination of human rights
- A protocol must be in place for a safe, respectful discussion of controversial issues
- The resource includes links to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights document, as well as the many articles, videos, and images used in the lesson
- The resource focuses solely on human rights violations in the Middle East