This Time Trials lesson plan also includes:
Due to contaminants in the water, the Cuyahoga River, located in Ohio, caught fire in 1969. In this sixth activity, learners see how contaminated surface water reaches ground water. Through a demonstration, participants test the percolation rates of two setups, timing how long contaminated water takes to reach ground water.
- Show or read pre-selected parts of A Civil Action
- Read about and discuss how the Cuyahoga River caught on fire in Ohio in 1969
- Some materials listed are not used in the activity (gravel, small stones); teachers may want to set up a third and/or fourth aquarium to include these materials
- Depending upon discussion, activity may take 30 minutes to 1.5 hours
- Includes follow-through activity and assessment
- Provides short background information for the teacher