This To Kill a Mockingbird: Symbols lesson plan also includes:
To Kill a Seagull? Huh? Robert E. Lee Ewell? Really? Atticus, as in Titus Pomponius Atticus? As part of a discussion of the symbols in To Kill A Mockingbird readers are asked to research the names of the characters in Harper Lee's novel and to ponder why the author might have chosen these names.
- If class members have little experience decoding symbols, consider prefacing this session with a mini-lesson on how to identify symbols and their levels of meaning
- The sixth lesson in a 10-lesson unit using To Kill A Mockingbird as the core text
- The lessons, designed to be used in order, could be supplemented with additional activities
- The attached zip file contains all related unit materials
- The lessons assumes that class members have had some experience decoding symbols