This Too Hot To Handle – Comparing Linear and Exponential Functions lesson plan also includes:
What do forest fires have to do with math? Learners use their knowledge of linear and exponential functions to explore a real-world scenario involving a forest fire. The lesson employs group work and discussion to assist learners as they solve problems.
- Show a video about fighting fires with connections to careers or volunteer opportunities
- Print handouts before the lesson to keep the activity moving quickly and smoothly
- Assign learners to groups based on knowledge level and skill
- Connection to real-world scenario and fire fighting engages learners
- Higher-level thinking skills used to compare linear functions and exponential functions
- Answer key is not included