Grief, though heavy, can create beautiful works of art to ease the pain of loss and shock. Middle schoolers focus on the artistic Tribute in Light in response to the events of September 11, 2001, and create their own tributes to the victims of the attacks or to another tragedy.
- Have learners write about a memorial or funeral they have attended, as well as their feelings about the commemoration
- Show a video of the Tribute of Light in class or during a computer lab session
- Be sure that your class possesses the required maturity and sensitivity for a discussion about grief and loss
- Consider including background information for those who do not remember 9/11
- Comes with an extension activity and enriching research ideas
- Discussion questions are thought-provoking conservation topics or writing prompts
- Slideshow presentation is not attached to the lesson; look through the publisher's website if you'd like to include it