This Under God in the Pledge handout & reference also includes:
- Student Reference
- Teacher Reference
- Join to access all included materials
The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892 and did not originally contain the words under God. Scholars prepare for a class debate about whether the phrase should remain in the pledge. They read about the founding fathers' views on religion in government and review US Supreme Court decisions involving the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Have small groups discuss the question: What would an ideal Pledge of Allegiance include?
- Requires computers and Internet access
- Research and preparation may take longer than the suggested time
- Separates pros and cons by category to simplify the research process
- Allows pupils to review other readers' comments and submit their own