This Understand the Commutative Property by Naming Arrays video also includes:
An array acts as the vehicle for learning a powerful multiplication strategy–counting in patterns to multiply. With a step-by-step visual breakdown of multiple methods for counting a 4x2 array, learners see that there is more than one way to solve a problem. As the first video of a five-part series, the lesson does a lot to scaffold learning that will come later.
- If you aren't logged in to Learnzillion, you will be prompted to create a free account to access all materials for this resource
- The first segment of the video does a great job of showing how using patterns when counting a group of objects is a good way to begin to think in terms of multiplication
- Highly visual explanation helps clarify concept
- The term commutative is not used within the video itself, so be sure to review this vocabulary word with the class
- The explanation of counting down a column and counting down a row is a bit confusing