This Understanding What Reading Is All About: Teaching Materials for Adult Basic Education Learners unit also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Adult special education learners focus on literacy across 13 detailed lessons. They utilize real-life text interactions to learn about components of reading, word analysis, sight words, fluency, vocabulary, and spelling. There is also a focus on creating personal reading goals and profiles, as well as developing understanding of learning disabilities.
- The resource suggests providing a folder for learners to keep track of their goal sheets and other handouts
- Focus on the "Note to Teacher" boxes for excellent tips on how to implement these lessons with your learners
- The more varied texts you can bring into class the better! Cereal boxes, newspaper articles, primary sources, handwritten lists, children's books, etc.
- Allows for differentiated learning through simplified versions of some handouts
- Use the lesson plan scripts if you need them, or just work with the structure improvise
- Includes everything you will need as far as handouts are concerned!