This Volumes of Cylinders and Cones lesson plan also includes:
If you can find the volume of a cylinder, finding the volume of a cone is just one extra little step. Scholars determine the formula for the volume of a cylinder by applying the concept of the area of the base times height. They then use rice or water with models of cylinders and cones to identify that the volume of a cone is 1/3 the volume of a cylinder.
- Have learners design cylindrical or conical containers with a given volume
- Knowledge of unit conversions is necessary
- Activity requires a variety of cans
- Provides links to two-dimensional nets for cones and cylinders
- Indicates where to look for mathematical practices throughout the lesson
- Very similar to a lot of other resources on the topic