This Washington’s Farewell Speech lesson plan also includes:
- Reading Passage
- Join to access all included materials
Practice reading fluency with a Reader's Theater performance based on Washington's Farewell Address. The teacher begins by reading a few paragraphs from the address and talking about mood and expression with the class. Groups of five then practice and perform the script included here, paying attention to tone of voice and expressive emphasis.
- The lesson suggests that you videotape the presentations and send them to Mount Vernon along with letters from the class; incorporate technology by requiring students to make their videos or multimedia projects that incorporate their reader's theater performances
- Provide some props for learners to liven up the performance and help set the scene
- Includes background information, vocabulary, and extension ideas
- The script is provided at the end of the resource