This Water is Life – Standing Rock and the Dakota Access Pipeline lesson plan also includes:
In 2016, the Dakota Access Pipeline was scheduled for construction through an area that directly impacts indigenous people. The final lesson plan in the four-part series encourages scholars to research the Standing Rock debate from multiple sides. How do we as a society determine whose rights are more important?
- Create a timeline of the Dakota Access Pipeline/Standing Rock progress and set backs
- Research if there is a land management issue close to your school
- Some content may be disturbing to teens
- Encourages analysis of references to determine which contain facts and which are only opinion
- Relates prior lessons to present-day events
- Provides detailed instructions for managing a "fishbowl" discussion among learners