This Water We Going To Do? lesson plan also includes:
How has human activity affected Earth's watersheds? An action-packed lesson plan, part of the K20 series, examines water's ability to go with the flow regardless of what is in its path. Scholars build model watersheds, examine time-lapse aerial photography, and create public service announcements to raise awareness of flood safety.
- For more real-world context, invite a speaker from your local emergency management office to talk to the class about flooding in your area
- Arrange for student PSA posters to be displayed around the school after their projects are complete
- Pull together local maps and modeling materials well in advance to ensure you have enough for each group
- Substitute watershed data from your area for the data used in the lesson to make it more meaningful
- Plan includes a broad range of activities to approach learning from many angles
- Lesson focuses on having the class ask and then work to answer their own questions about the behavior of water in different substrates