This What’s the Matter? lesson plan also includes:
This space is reserved for matter. After finding the density of a foam ball, young scientists predict the density of a larger ball. When they encounter a discrepant event, they must theorize an explanation. These concepts are linked to predicting dark matter in the universe.
- Have pupils work in pairs and remind them to measure the circumference and come to an agreement
- Post the formula for volume of a sphere, circumference of a circle, and density if learners are not already confident with them
- Requires simple algebra
- Prepare the discrepant ball prior to starting the lesson and keep it out of view of all pupils
- Lesson follows a 5E format
- Clearly explains why scientists use multiple methods to predict the mass in a galaxy