This What's the Problem? activities & project also includes:
Oh, no! An asteroid is on a collision course with Earth!. Class members must rise to the challenge of designing a shelter that will protect people from the impact and permit them to live in this shelter for one year. In this first lesson in an eight-part unit, teams study maps to determine an underground location for their shelter.
- Drop marbles into a pan of flour lightly covered with tempera paint to show how material is kicked up by an impact
- Show videos of high-speed impacts onto solid surfaces
- Consider using the Asteroid Impact Student Workbook with all the unit's handouts in one packet
- The lesson contains an activity to get the class thinking about the challenge
- The map of Alabraska comes as a poster size map
- Provides little information to teachers about how to deliver the content of the lesson