Raise environmental awareness with the first lesson of this series on waste management. Read a short story about a fifth grader's trip to a landfill and introduce the concepts reduce, reduce, recycle, and compost. Follow up with a discussion about different ways young conservationists can reduce waste in the lunches they bring from home. Use this as an opportunity to further explore composting with a lesson on decomposition and the cycle of energy through an ecosystem. A great resource to add into an Earth Day celebration.
- Provides a copy of the short story Carlo's Day at the Landfill to use in the lesson
- Includes printable images and definitions that reinforce key vocabulary
- Offers ideas for extending learning about conservation
- All materials are available in both English and Spanish
- Lesson requires modifications to ensure participation of all learners
Included Materials - Join to Access
- Too Good To Throw Away!
- Too Good To Throw Away! Spanish Version
- Answer Key
- Graphic Organizer
- Graphics & Images
- Lesson Plan