This Will It Fit? assessment also includes:
Try to fit the round top in a rectangular hole. The short assessment provides an opportunity for the class to apply the Pythagorean Theorem to a real-world problem. Using the dimensions of a circular table top and a door opening, pupils calculate to determine whether the table top will fit through the door.
- Lead a discussion on the limitations of finding the diagonal, such as not taking into account of the thickness of the table top
- The class should be familiar with the Pythagorean Theorem
- Individuals need to determine the level of accuracy required to solve the problem
- Provides instructional suggestions for different levels of understanding
- Contains descriptions of common misconceptions