Challenge learners to do more with a word than simply define it. After perusing a newspaper article for an unfamiliar word, elementary and middle schoolers look up the definition, find synonyms and antonyms, draw a picture representing the meaning, and write a sentence using the correct meaning of the word.
- Provide appropriate newspaper articles for learners to browse
- Have dictionaries and thesauruses on hand for the activity
- Assumes learners have experience using reference materials
- The sheet has a lot of blue images and text boxes which may prove difficult to read when printing in black and white
- Promotes dictionary and thesaurus skills
- Includes a self-check box at the bottom of the sheet to use as they progress through the prompts