This Writing Task 6.EE.4 Item 2 assessment also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Young mathematicians demonstrate their knowledge of algebraic expressions with this short writing exercise. Using their understanding of multiplication as repeated addition, learners must explain in writing whether or not two given expressions are equivalent.
- Present this exercise an a warm-up activity during a lesson series on algebraic expressions and equations
- After recording their responses, have children discuss the problem with a partner, a small group, or the whole class
- Implement this resource as quick formative assessment for monitoring student learning during a pre-algebra unit in fifth or sixth grade
- Two copies of the writing exercise are formatted to fit on a single page
- Resource is available as a Word document that can be edited