Why Lesson Planet?
Rev your engines and prepare to teach your class about the body's highway! The lesson plan informs pupils about heart anatomy, arteries, and veins and blood flow through microscope observation, dissection, models, and a laboratory exercise that will get their hearts pumping.
- Stethoscopes would be useful for the lesson so participants can hear their hearts pumping directly
- Clarify what medical personnel is measuring when they place stethoscopes and inflate cuffs around an arm
- Ask learners why athletes' heart rates are often slower than the general population; remind them that the heart is actually a muscle that can be strengthened so it can pump more efficiently
- If dissection is not an option in the classroom, consider providing pupils with a virtual dissection opportunity
- Hands-on activity engages multiple learning styles
- Includes scientific method
- Provides all necessary auxiliary materials, including worksheets, rubrics, reference pages, and answer keys
- Worksheet: Anticipation Guide
- Worksheet Answers: Anticipation Guide
- Worksheet: Direction of Blood Flow
- Worksheet: Two Loops of the Circulatory System
- Worksheet: Structures of the Arteries and the Veins
- Worksheet: Heart Model and Cow Heart
- Worksheet: What Is Your Pulse Rate?
- Step Sheet: Creating a Data Table and Line Graph
- Sample: Line Graph
- Your Body's Highway Rubric