User Guide / FAQ
About Lesson Planet
- 1) What is Lesson Planet?
- Lesson Planet (www.lessonplanet.com) is the leading online curriculum search solution for PreK-12 educators. The award-winning search engine enables teachers to easily find and share 400,000+ teacher-reviewed curriculum resources within an online, professional community. Teachers address specific curriculum objectives and save valuable planning time by using search criteria to narrow by subject, grade, 21st Century Skills, Common Core and state standards, and more. Founded by an educator in 1999, the company is committed to helping teachers be great teachers. Every resource is rated by Lesson Planet's team of credentialed teachers, providing quality members can trust. Additionally, we provide an extensive library of lesson planning articles written by a team of knowledgeable teachers.
- 2) How is Lesson Planet different from a general search engine?
- Whereas a general search engine displays large numbers of unfiltered results, Lesson Planet focuses on resources that are useful to teachers, such as lesson plans and worksheets. Moreover, each of the 400,000+ resources on our site has been summarized and rated by credentialed K-12 teachers, allowing members to rapidly locate relevant, high-quality material. Lesson Planet also allows teachers to narrow their search by criteria specific to the classroom, including grade level, subject, overall rating, or standard.
- 3) Where do the online lesson plans come from?
- Lesson Planet's teacher-reviewers comb through thousands of education websites, large and small, to find lesson plans and other educational resources. We organize these into a searchable database that includes summaries and ratings. Our company is committed to finding and reviewing every lesson plan that is posted on the Internet. If you know of any lesson plans that Lesson Planet has not yet reviewed and linked to, please let us know by emailing MemberServices@lessonplanet.com.
- 4) Who reviews the online lessons plans, and how are they reviewed?
- Lesson Planet has a team of experienced, credentialed K-12 teachers who have been trained to summarize and rate each online lesson plan in accordance with the Lesson Planet Review Guidelines. The Resource Review Rubric was developed by our teacher team to reflect best educational practices.
- 5) How does Lesson Planet ensure that resources it links to are accessible and up-to-date?
- We strive to provide current and functional resource links. To achieve this, we employ computer programs that monitor and test our database of links on a daily basis. We also rely on the Lesson Planet member community to help us identify inappropriate, non-working, slow, or otherwise problematic links. Members can report these faulty links using our 'Link Issue' button.
Account, Membership and Billing
- 1) How does the 10-Day Free Trial work?
- In order to let prospective members experience the many benefits of Lesson Planet, we offer a 10-Day Free Trial that provides full access to our website. To sign up for a free trial, simply click the Try It Free link, and sign up using your credit card. During the 10-Day Free Trial period, you may cancel at any time, for any reason, and your credit card will not be charged. If you enjoy using Lesson Planet and do not cancel, your membership will automatically begin on the 11th day.
- 2) How much does Lesson Planet membership cost?
- Lesson Planet Members can easily search 400,000+ teacher reviewed, online educational resources including lesson plans, worksheets, educational videos, presentations and more. Lesson Planet offers multiple plans that include private storage for your own documents, and professional development courses. All memberships are billed in one payment after your 10-day free trial. To see available plans start your 10-day Free Trial today, or read what our members are saying about how Lesson Planet helps them as teachers.
- 3) Why isn't Lesson Planet free?
- Lesson Planet is a search engine targeted to the specific needs of teachers. In order to keep our pages free of advertising and continually enhance the level of service we provide teachers, we charge a minimal annual membership fee. Created and managed by experienced educators, Lesson Planet is committed to helping teachers find and utilize the wide variety of quality educational resources the Internet has to offer. We are constantly adding more resource reviews, site features, articles and teacher tools. Our inspiration comes from encouraging feedback we receive from members around the world.
- 4) Can more than one teacher use the same Lesson Planet membership account?
- No. Lesson Planet memberships are granted on a one membership per teacher basis. Please do not share your Lesson Planet login information, as it may result in your membership being revoked.
- 5) I want other teachers at my school to have access to Lesson Planet. Does Lesson Planet offer a group, school, or district site license?
- Yes. Organizations, schools, and districts of ten teachers or more can sign up for a cost-effective and easy-to-administer site license through Lesson Planet School Edition. Click here for more information on Lesson Planet School Edition or to contact a Lesson Planet Consultant.
- 6) When will my membership renew?
- 7) How do I cancel my 10-Day Free Trial or my annual membership renewal?
- Simply log in to Lesson Planet and click on your username (in the upper right-hand corner of the page) to access your "My Account" page. Within the right-hand Account Information sidebar of this page, under "Account Options," you will see a "Cancel subscription" link. If you do not see the link to cancel, that means that you have already cancelled your Free Trial or annual membership renewal.
- 8) What if I forget to cancel my 10-Day Free Trial or my annual membership renewal?
- Lesson Planet offers a 45-Day Money Back Guarantee. If for any reason you choose to end your membership with Lesson Planet, you may contact Member Services at MemberServices@lessonplanet.com to request a refund withing 45 days of your credit card being charged.
- 9) How do I update my current password?
- First, log in to Lesson Planet and click on your name in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Select "My Account" from the dropdown menu. On your account page, you will find an "Change your password" link under the heading "Personal Information" within the Account Information sidebar.
- 10) How do I update my credit card information?
- To make changes to your payment information, click on your name in the upper right-hand corner of the page while logged in to Lesson Planet, and select "My Account" from the dropdown menu. On your account page, click on the "Update payment information" link, located under the "Account Options" heading within the Account Information sidebar.
- 11) How can I update my email address, or email and profile preferences?
- You can update the email address associated with your account—along with your other contact information, your email preferences, and additional profile details—from the Member Profile page. To access this page, log in to Lesson Planet, click on your name in the upper right-hand corner of the page, and select "My Member Profile". Follow the appropriate link in the Profile Information box on the right. You can also update your account email address at any time by contacting Member Services.
- 12) Will my credit card be charged if I cancel after the 10-Day Free Trial ends?
- Your paid membership begins the day after your 10-Day Free Trial expires. If you do not cancel before your trial ends, your credit card is automatically charged on the eleventh day for the annual membership price you agreed to when you signed up. Cancelling after the end of your 10-Day Free Trial will cancel your automatic renewal, which means you will not be automatically charged again in the future, and your membership will not be automatically renewed. Lesson Planet offers a 45-Day Money Back Guarantee. If for any reason you choose to end your membership with Lesson Planet, you may contact Member Services at MemberServices@lessonplanet.com to request a refund within 45 days of your credit card being charged.
Searching and Resources
- 1) How do I search for resources using Lesson Planet?
The basic search bar can be found at the top of the Lesson Planet homepage. Simply enter a desired topic, and click 'Search.' Lesson Planet will return a listing of resource results. You can then narrow your search results by the resource type, grade, rating, and subject filters, located on the 'Refine Results' toolbar on the left. Lesson Planet will automatically filter the results based on your selections.
Lesson Planet also offers an advanced search feature, accessed by clicking the 'Advanced' link to the right of the search bar. On the advanced search page, you can select from a variety of additional search filters--including class design, teaching method, and more--to return an even more focused collection of resource results.
For more help with search, watch our quick Search Tutorial Video.
- 2) How can I save selected search results?
- As you browse, simply click the "Save" link that appears to the right of each lesson description. Saved lessons are compiled under the "Saved Resources" tab, which you can access by clicking on your name in the top right-hand corner of the page and selecting "Saved Resources" from the dropdown menu.
- 3) How can I find lessons that align to the new Common Core standards?
Our Aligned Resource Search™ makes it easy to locate lesson-planning resources aligned to Common Core standards. Follow these simple steps:
- Click on the Standards tab.
- Select either English Language Arts or Mathematics under the Common Core heading.
- Narrow your search by selecting the strand, then grade level, and finally the specific standard you are looking to teach.
- Click on the discrete skill you are looking to teach under the "Common Core Aligned Resources by Skill" title.
- Lesson Planet will display resources that have been hand-picked by our credentialed teacher team to teach that specific skill in the standard.
- 4) When I do searches, are they automatically aligned to the Common Core?
No, but you can find Common Core-aligned resources from our general search. Here's how:
- Type the concept you're looking to teach into the search bar.
- Click search.
- If there are any Common Core standards that relate to your search, you will see a Common Core Standards link above the Refine Results box.
- Click that link, and then select the standard you are looking for.
- 5) How can I save selected search results?
- As you browse, simply click the 'Save' link that appears to the right of each lesson description. Saved lessons are compiled under the 'Saved Resources' tab, which is located on your account page.
- 6) What is Advanced Search?
- Lesson Planet's Advanced Search feature provides numerous ways for you to customize and narrow your search criteria. Advanced Search allows you to filter by grade range, overall rating, subject, class design, teaching method, lesson duration, technology used, and more.
- 7) How do I suggest lesson plans that are not yet listed in Lesson Planet?
- Lesson Planet is committed to finding and reviewing every lesson plan that is posted on the Web. If you know of any lesson plans that have not yet been reviewed and listed on Lesson Planet, please email us at MemberServices@lessonplanet.com. If the lessons meet our review guidelines, our teacher team will review the lessons and add them to Lesson Planet. Thanks for helping us make Lesson Planet better!
- 8) If I implement or adapt a lesson plan listed on Lesson Planet, how can I share what I did with my colleagues?
- It is easy to help other teachers by adding your own brief review and rating of lesson plans. Simply locate the lesson plan you used, and then click the 'Add Comment' link under the lesson description. The 'Share Your Ideas' field will appear. Type your thoughts, and then click 'Add' to share your ideas with the Lesson Planet community. You can also assign the resource a star rating by scrolling your mouse over the stars to the right of the 'Share Your Idea' box. Once you have reviewed or rated a lesson, this will appear as a comment below the lesson description.
Login and Access
- 1) I am having trouble logging in, what should I do?
- If you are having trouble logging in, it is likely that the username and/or password you entered does not match the login information in our system. To confirm your password, try the "Forgot your password?" link described below. Please note that Lesson Planet usernames are not case sensitive. If you are sure you are entering the correct username and password, but are still having difficulty logging in, please contact our Member Services team at MemberServices@lessonplanet.com.
- 2) I cannot remember my username and/or password, what should I do?
If you cannot remember your Lesson Planet username and/or password, click on the "Forgot your password?" link on the login page. Enter the email address associated with your Lesson Planet account, and then press the "Send" button. We will send an email with your username and password. If our system does not recognize the email you are providing, it is likely not the same email you used to sign up. If this is the case, contact us at
Note: It is important to keep your account information (current email, credit card info, etc.) up-to-date. To update or change your account info, simply click on your name in the top right-hand corner of the page, and select "My Account." From your account page you can manage all aspects of your Lesson Planet membership.
- 3) Are all lessons on Lesson Planet linked to websites?
- Lesson Planet links to thousands of different websites that have posted lesson plans. Most of these lessons show up in your web browser as a standard 'HTML' web page. However, some lesson plan sites provide their lesson plans as 'PDF' files only. In order to open a PDF file, you need to have the free PDF opening application called Adobe Reader. If you do not have this application, you can use the 'Quick view' link provided in the review to view the resource in Google Docs. You can also download Adobe Reader for free. A few sites make their lesson plans available as Microsoft Word documents only. In this case, you need to have Microsoft Word loaded on your computer to open the lesson plan.
- 4) What should I do if I can't open a lesson plan?
- Usually, if a member is having trouble opening a link on Lesson Planet, it is because the lesson plan is a PDF, which requires Adobe Reader. If you don't have Adobe Reader, you can use the 'Quick view' link provided to open the link in Google Docs. It is also possible that the site hosting the lesson plan has moved the lesson or now requires visitors to become members (free or fee-based) before allowing access to their content. If you come across a site that doesn't show the lesson or now requires a membership to access the lesson plan you wish to view, please let us know by clicking on the 'Link Issue' button below the review. We will fix or remove that lesson. You can also us at email MemberServices@lessonplanet.com.
- 5) How do I report a broken link?
- We are constantly reviewing our links to ensure that we provide you the best resources. Unfortunately, we can't prevent all link issues. If you come across a broken link, please let us know by clicking on the 'Link Issue' button at the bottom of the lesson review. A 'broken' link can result from a site that is temporarily down, a site that has changed to a new web address, or a site that is no longer on the web at all.
- 6) How do I report an inappropriate resource link?
- We strive to provide only the highest quality resources to our members. However, the web can change quickly. If you come across a link on Lesson Planet that leads to a site or page that is 'inappropriate' as an educational resource, please let us know immediately using the 'Link Issue' button, located below the lesson review.
Lesson Planet Community
- 1) What is Lesson Planet Community?
- Lesson Planet Community is a free discussion forum, where educators can start and participate in teaching-related conversations with other professionals, review online resources, find help with thorny classroom issues, get ideas and inspiration, discuss Lesson Planet articles, and weigh in on topics from best footwear to implementing Common Core State Standards.
- 2) How do I join?
- If you are already a Premium Member of Lesson Planet, you are automatically part of the Community. Just log in using your Lesson Planet account information (email address and password) to create discussion topics or post. If you're new to Lesson Planet, you can sign up to participate in the Community, with a completely free Basic Membership. Click the blue "Log In" button above and sign up with Facebook or simply by providing your name, email address, and a password.
- 3) What if I disagree with posts by others?
- We welcome healthy, robust conversations. Among committed professionals, that can often mean disagreement or conflicting points of view. Feel free to express your disagreement or differences of opinion, but please do so in ways that keep lines of communication open.
- 4) What should I do if I see inappropriate or offensive content?
- If you witness bad behavior, do not encourage it by responding. Simply ignore or flag it. Ignoring it will avoid giving undue attention to those who behave poorly, thereby discouraging the negative behavior. If you encounter offensive or hate-based material, flagging it alerts moderators and the community of your concern.
- 5) What content may I share in Lesson Planet Community?
- You may post any of original content that contributes to the topic at hand. Please do not post others' work without citing authorship. You may share great ideas you find on Pinterest or other social media in the Lesson Planet Community.