Curated Video
CONGO: US ENVOY RICHARDSON ARRIVES FOR INVESTIGATION MISSION
Eng/French/Nat
U-S envoy Bill Richardson arrived in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Friday - his aim to persuade President Laurent Kabila to allow an investigation into alleged massacres by his army.
Kabila's forces are accused of...
Curated Video
FRANCE: PARIS: PEOPLE FLEEING VIOLENCE IN REPUBLIC OF CONGO ARRIVE
French/Nat
Seventy-seven passengers, mostly French and Congolese, arrived in Paris Saturday after fleeing a night of fighting between government soldiers and militiamen in the Republic of Congo.
They escaped the capital, Brazzaville,...
Curated Video
CONGO: FRENCH SOLDIERS CONTINUE TO RESCUE TRAPPED FOREIGNERS
French/Nat
Gun shots resounded through Brazzaville for a sixth day on Tuesday as French soldiers continued to rescue foreigners trapped by fighting between government troops and a political militia in the Republic of Congo.
The French...
Curated Video
Mother finds baby 23 hours after losing her in blast which killed more than 230
1. Laurette Ngoy sitting against wall with her 3-month-old baby daughter
2. Ngoy breastfeeding her baby
3. Woman with her goats
4. SOUNDBITE (French) Laurette Ngoy, reunited with her baby daughter:
"Since yesterday (4th March) at 8...
Curated Video
More than 100 victims of arms depot blast buried in mass funeral
1. Relatives of munitions blast victims arriving with flowers at mass funeral
2. Seated mourners, widow crying for her husband, UPSOUND: (French) "He taught me how to love, how to love a woman. Oh, I miss my husband."
3. Mourners behind...
Curated Video
Italy/Congo - US troops arrive
The first wave of a US military task force moved cautiously into central Africa on Sunday (23/3), preparing for a possible evacuation of Americans from Zaire. A huge C-17 transport plane that flew through the night from Aviano, Italy,...
Curated Video
BELGIUM: TROOPS BEING DEPLOYED TO THE CONGO CAPITAL BRAZZAVILLE
English/Nat
Hundreds of Belgian troops are currently being deployed to Brazzaville, the capital of Congo.
The 550 men are part of a military task force to assist in the possible evacuation of foreign nationals from war-torn...
Curated Video
CONGO: TROOPS ON STAND BY FOR POSSIBLE CIVILIAN EVACUATION FROM ZAIRE
English/Nat
The head of the United States Marines' mission in Congo, Marine Colonel Emerson Gardner said Wednesday that his force would move to an American warship, so as not to offend Zaireans.
Belgian and American troops are on...
Curated Video
CONGO: BRAZZAVILLE: FURTHER FIGHTING BREAKS OUT
French/Nat
Fighting erupted around the Brazzaville airport on Sunday as French troops prepared to pull out of the Republic of Congo.
Despite the shooting, three delegates from the warring factions in Congo have left the capital for...
Curated Video
G05128813
}QUOTE REF CONGO: S African-Cuban-Angola talks in Brazaville break up as
GS05128813 S.African For Min leaves mtg without signing agreement after
5.12.88 S.A Presdt P.W. Botha who had been sent a copy of the draft
...
Curated Video
CONGO: BELGIAN SOLDIERS PREPARE FOR EVACUATION OF FOREIGNERS
French/Flemish/Nat
Belgian soldiers are keeping a low profile in the Congo as they prepare for a possible evacuation of foreigners in neighbouring Zaire.
This follows allegations that some of the Belgian contingent were responsible...
Curated Video
FRANCE: CONGO PRESIDENT NGUESSO MEETS PRIME MINISTER JOSPIN
French/Nat
Republic of Congo President Denis Sassou Nguesso said on Tuesday he plans to organise democratic elections as soon as possible in his country.
Nguesso, who won his country's bloody civil war in October and seized the...
Curated Video
RUSSIA: PILOTS CAPTURED IN REPUBLIC OF CONGO RETURN HOME
Russian/Nat
Nine Russian pilots returned to Moscow on Monday from the Republic of Congo where they had been held for 22 days on suspicion of taking part in hostilities following the coup.
Speaking after landing at Domodyedovo airport,...
Curated Video
French strike grounds hundreds of flights
1. Interior terminal, pan to departure board
2. Close up departure board showing cancellation
3. Mid shot of seated couple waiting
4. Wide shot inside terminal, information screen on right with strike information
5. Close up information...
Curated Video
CONGO: MULTI NATIONAL FORCES ON FULL ALERT OVER SITUATION IN ZAIRE
English/Nat
President Mobutu Sese Seko's soldier son Captain Kongolo Mobutu has fled Zaire, arriving in Congo after crossing the river by high speed boat.
Meanwhile military personnel from the five countries providing standby troops in...
Curated Video
Congo - Coup aftermath
The victor in Congo's four-month civil war, General Denis Sassou Nguesso, called on Friday (17/10) for reconciliation in his war-scarred country as his victorious troops celebrated his return to power. His troops this week seized control...
Curated Video
Congo - Fighting continues near airport
With negotiations due to get underway in Gabon later on Monday (16/6) between the two warring sides in the Congo, fighting continued near the airport in Brazzaville. Soldiers of the Congolese army could be seen advancing on the militia...
Curated Video
Chairman of AU comment on situation in Chad
1. Tanzania's President and chairman of the African Union, Jakaya Kikwete (centre) seated
2. Kikwete seated (right) speaking
3. Close of Kikwete listening
4. SOUNDBITE (English) Jakaya Kikwete, Tanzania's President and chairman of the...
Curated Video
Zaire/Congo - Curfew imposed
The Zairean Government has imposed a curfew in Kinshasa, following an announcement by the rebels that the troops of Laurent Kabila would enter the capital on Tuesday (13/5) afternoon.
It is not immediately clear whether the announcement...
Curated Video
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO: 17 KILLED BY SHELLS FROM CONGO
French/Nat
Seventeen people have been killed in Democratic Republic of Congo, the former Zaire, after the civil war in neighbouring Congo spilled over the border.
Government officials in Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic,...
Curated Video
CONGO: GENERAL DENIS SASSOU-NGUESSO SWORN IN AS PRESIDENT
French/Nat
The former military ruler of the Republic of Congo made his return to power official on Saturday as he was sworn in as president.
General Denis Sassou-Nguesso seized the post after winning a four-month bloody battle to oust...
Curated Video
Zaire - Prime Minister returns to Kinshasa
Zairean Prime Minister Kengo wa Dondo returned to Kinshasa on Thursday (20/03) from Nairobi, insisting that he was still head of government. On Tuesday, Zaire's transitional parliament voted to sack Kengo after he had flown to Nairobi,...
Curated Video
G16058811
QUOTE REF CONGO/SOUTH AFRICA; South Africa's Foreign Minister, Pik
GS16058811 Botha, and hardline Defence Minister, Magnus Malan, attend
16.5.88 meeting in Brazzaville with Angolan Minister for External
Relations,...
Curated Video
CONGO: TROOPS SCRAMBLE TO RESCUE FOREIGNERS CAUGHT IN ANARCHY
Natural Sound
French troops scrambled to rescue foreigners still caught in the anarchy of Congo on Thursday as fresh gun battles threatened to derail a cease-fire between soldiers and a private militia.
Fighting shook the capital...