This 100 People assessment also includes:
It's a small world after all. In the middle school assessment task, learners use data that imagines there are only 100 people in the world to answer questions about population demographics. Young mathematicians use ratio and proportional reasoning, as well as scientific notation, to solve problems.
- Team up with a social studies teacher for the task
- Have learners research current proportions rather than using info from the 1990s
- Consider the socioeconomic status of pupils before using task as there is a reference to lack of food and shelter (i.e., homelessness)
- Provides opportunities for a cross-curricular activity
- Resource includes scored student work
- Number of points in rubric does not add up correctly