This 1850-1874 African American Settlers activity also includes:
- First African American Settler 1855 - Where did they Live?
- Native Americans & Settlers
- Student Reference
- Primary Source
- Teacher Reference
- Graphic & Image
- Join to access all included materials
Go West, young man! Scholars investigate the impact of African American settlers moving to the Nebraska territory, following the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act in the mid 1800s. Using primary sources, timelines, maps, and photographs, class members investigate the lives of those attempting to start over in the West. Armed with new knowledge, they speculate just why an African American would want to take advantage of the Homestead Act after the Civil War.
- Adjust activity one for use with seniors by creating higher level questions for the article
- Create teams to assist one another with the reading material for those who struggle
- Keep in mind that lessons are grade-level specific
- Resource provides a detailed lesson plan for teacher use
- Lesson contains printable worksheets and materials for classroom distribution