This 1850-1874 Railroads and Settlement lesson plan also includes:
Have you ever wondered how your town was placed where it is? Scholars research the impact the advancement of the railroad due to the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act had on the formation of civilization in the Great Plains. Map analysis, primary source investigation, and photographic evidence create an understanding of the significance of the railroad in the mid-1800s.
- Place or display large photos and maps of railroad advancement in the mid-1800s for reference during the lessons
- Compare/contrast railroad travel with airline or semi-truck transportation in today's world
- Lessons designed for particular grade levels, adjust accordingly
- Resource provides detailed rubrics for teacher use
- Lesson includes printable worksheets and materials for classroom use