Take a seat on the parade route with a holiday-themed set of word problems. Young mathematicians answer questions based on the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in New York City, including finding the average number of members in a marching band, measuring the parade route in blocks, meter, and kilometers, and estimating the size of a parade balloon.
- Project into the board for a week of warm-up activities
- Include in an assessment
- Assign one problem to 12 different groups and have them present multiple ways to solve their problem
- Have learners create their own questions based on the floats, bands, and ballons in this year's Thanksgiving Parade
- Pictures are in color and may be difficult to read in black and white
- Connects real-world topics to important math skills
- Encourages critical thinking and problem solving skills