Start your states of matter unit off right with an engaging video! Before scholars can write and balance equations or predict products, knowledge of the three main states of matter is essential. The first in a 14-part series discussing solids, liquids, and gases, the video uses simple diagrams and terms to help learners describe each state and understand what's happening in each at the atomic level.
- Have the class construct a graphic organizer while watching the video and check for understanding upon completion of each state
- Tackle misconceptions about liquids by demonstrating what happens when you try to compress one
- The video makes a great day one kick-off resource for your states of matter unit
- The narration and diagrams lend themselves to easy note-taking while pupils view the resource
- Video stresses correct descriptive vocabulary for each state of matter
- The content could be misleading down the road, as it states that there are only four states of matter