What can you learn about a bear by examining its skull? Take an impromptu look at bear anatomy with a video from an extensive mammals playlist. Scientists examine the skull's teeth and compare them with those of a younger bear to determine age and health.
- Use the resource as an alternative to run-of-the-mill animal tooth comparison worksheets
- Have the class look at and compare images of black bears and grizzly bears to make inferences about both species
- Some exclamations during the examination of the skull are questionable in content for younger viewers
- The video is unscripted, providing a look at the excitement researchers experience when presented with an interesting, new specimen
- Observations are well explained and appropriate for learners with little knowledge of animal teeth