Before Google, before Sillicon Valley, before the Gold Rush, the San Francisco landscape was a biome filled with grizzly bears, mule deer, tule elk, coyotes, gray fox, gophers, and moles. To explore the early days of yesteryear, kids assume the voice of a California native animal and create a "Day in the Life" journal for their creature.
- Have class members create a large mural depicting the San Francisco biome and place an image of their animal on the mural
- Laminate the animal cards to allow repeated use
- For learners unfamiliar with the San Francisco Bay area, additional images and a map of the biome would be aid understanding
- Illustrated animal cards that contain information about each creature and a journal entry with prompts are provided
- The lesson would require a map and additional images of the biome for those unfamiliar with the San Francisco Bay area