This A Matter of Density lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Larvae transportation on the New England seamounts is based on the density of the water. Scholars calculate density and graph salinity versus temperature to better understand the distribution of organisms in a water column. Discussions of the relationship between density, temperature, salinity, and pressure lead to a better understanding of sigma-t.
- Have students divide up the equations and work in groups to build their graphs
- Find the distance from your school to the closest seamount
- Assumes prior knowledge of graphing points and solving simple equations
- Includes cross-curricular connections to language arts, math, and earth science
- Offers extension ideas for those interested in the topic