This A Pale Blue Dot: That's Here. That's Home. That's Us. lesson plan also includes:
21st-century learners live in such a visual world that many are unused to letting their minds imagine the picture that words create. An excerpt from Carl Sagan's lecture, "The Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space," provides learners with the opportunity to compare the impact of written text with audio and visual versions.
- Use the text from President Whitmore's speech and the scene from the film Independence Day to model the process
- Set aside extra prep time to explore the many links in the resource
- A free account is required to access supplemental materials
- Links are provided to the text and to the movie version of speeches from popular films
- The various tasks are carefully scaffolded and designed to prepare writers for the essay