This About Life: The Photographs of Dorothea Lange Going to the Promised Land lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
To better understand the migrant experience during the Great Depression, pupils analyze two primary resources: photographs by Dorothea Lange and a U.S. Map that shows the Dust Bowl. They compare and contrast Lange's images to Steinbeck's works. Using these, a U.S. map, and a newspaper article from 1937, they discuss their findings and write their responses.
- Use the lesson to launch a study of The Grapes of Wrath
- Have groups research the treatment of farm workers during this period to their treatment today
- Requires additional prep time to prepare and copy materials
- The materials provide readers with a visual context of the devastation of the Dust Bowl
- Includes worksheets, a comparison rubric, and suggested extensions for the initial assignment.