This Above-Ground Storage Tanks in the Houston Ship Channel lesson plan also includes:
Introduce your class to storage tank failures caused by major storms with an activity that looks at how the concepts of Archimedes' Principle and Pascal's Law affect the storage tanks along the Houston Ship Channel. The background information provides the setup for the Above-Ground Storage Tank Design Project.
- Do research to determine the volume of a tank and its weight
- If you live near a tank farm, invite the person in charge of safety to come talk to the class about the safety procedures they use
- The class should be comfortable enough with geometric concepts to understand the size and pressures involved with the tanks
- The fifth in a six-part series
- The slide notes and the lesson plan contain talking points for the presentation
- Includes vocabulary and definitions associated with the lesson