It's truly amazing how people with physical disabilities are able to find ways to overcome their impairments. Their tremendous perseverance is evident in this handout that describes the ways different sports, ranging from bowling to scuba diving, have been modified to support the participation of disabled athletes.
- Use the information provided in this document to come up with ways that common PE activities can be adapted for disabled students
- Have students read through these descriptions as part of a PE lesson series on disabled athletes and the Special Olympics
- Due to the sensitive nature of this topic, be sure to consider the backgrounds of your students before discussing accommodations for the physically disabled
- Includes descriptions of 19 different sports that have been adapted for people with physical disabilities
- Pictures accompany the descriptions of each adaptive game
- Document only includes descriptions of sports that have been adapted for the physically disabled, and does not include instructions for actually performing activities with students